11-07-04 Corruption of the Courts and the Legal Profession: Rabbi Lerner and Professor Chomsky – Lone Voices in the Roaring Silence of the Jewish Community
The Jewish community is vastly over-represented among attorneys and judges. It should assume accountability for corruption of the courts and the legal profession and renew its commitment to Civil Rights. Rabbi Michael Lerner and Professor Noam Chomsky have so far been the only ones, who agreed to opine – on Jewish ethics and computer science, respectively.
Abraham Joshua Heschel Louis Brandeis Benjamin Cardozo
Los Angeles, July 4 – a series of figures in the Jewish community and leaders of Jewish institutions has been approached by Joseph Zernik, PhD, of Human Rights Alert (NGO) with questions related to corruption of the courts and the legal profession.
So far only two have responded:
- Rabbi Michael Lerner of Tikkun Magazine – regarding ethics duties of the Los Angeles Jewish Federation and Bet Tzedek, whose current and former leaders: Sandor Samuels, David Pasternak, and Terry Friedman, are involved racketeering in the courts, [[i],[ii],[iii],[iv]] and
- Professor Noam Chomsky of MIT – regarding computer systems of the courts, which were opined by Dr Zernik as large-scale fraud on the People.
The roaring silence of the Jewish community
Those who have refused to respond included:
- Professor Yochai Benkler, Harvard Law School, and expert on computers and the law; [[v]]
- Rabbi Jonathan Bernhard, Adat Ari El Synagogue, Valley Village – a beneficiary of Sandor Samuels’ racketeering; [[vi]]
- Rabbi Sharon Brous, Ikar Synagogue, Los Angeles;
- Rabbi Chaim Nochum Cunin, Chabad, Los Angeles;
- National Director Abraham Foxman, the Anti Defamation League (ADL); [[vii]]
- Judge Alex Kozinski, US Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit; [[viii],[ix]]
- Rabbi Susan Leider, Temple Betham, Los Angeles;
- Judge Richard Posner, US Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit; [[x]]
- Professor Michael Rabin, Harvard Computer Science; [[xi]]
- Mr Nathan Reynolds, Interim Head of Shalhevet School – a beneficiary of Sandor Samuels’ racketeering; [[xii]]
- Rabbi Chaim Seidler-Feller, UCLA Hillel; [[xiii]]
- Mr Jay Sanderson, President of the Greater Los Angeles Jewish Federation;
- Professor Richard Steinberg, UCLA Law School and the UCLA Human Rights Forum; [[xiv]]
- Rabbi Robert Wexler, President of the American Jewish University, Los Angeles, and the Ziegler School of Rabbinic Studies – beneficiaries of Sandor Samuels’ racketeering; [[xv]]
- Ms Michelle Court Williams, Bet Tzedek – a beneficiary of Sandor Samuels� racketeering.
Corruption of the courts is central to the ongoing financial crisis
In his communications with the ADL, Dr Zernik repeatedly opined and presented evidence of racketeering by current and former leaders of Bet Tzedek – the Los Angeles “House of Justice” – a prominent Los Angeles Jewish charity and an affiliate of the Greater Los Angeles Jewish Federation:
- Sandor Samuels is a central figure in the current financial crisis. “Samuels played a key part in one of the biggest frauds in history against homeowners, against shareholders, and against the US Treasury,” says Zernik, “Widespread bribing of state and US judges by Countrywide and Bank of America must be a serious concern.” [[xvi],[xvii]] Regardless, Samuels serves as President of Bet Tzedek, and on the board of Los Angeles Jewish institutions.
- David Pasternak is a central figure in corruption of the Los Angeles courts in real estate matters. Complaint pertaining to racketeering by Pasternak and the Los Angeles Superior Court has recently been posted by the International Criminal Bar. [[xviii]] Regardless, Pasternak as well served as President of Bet Tzedek and member of its board.
“The roaring silence of the ADL regarding corruption of the Los Angeles Jewish-legal community is particularly surprising,” says Zernik “They are not gun shy…”
The US is in the midst of a constitutional crisis
“Corruption of the courts has reached the level of a constitutional crisis, the like of which has not been seen since the Civil War,” says Dr Zernik, “The People are deprived of life, liberty, and property with no due process of law. The Jewish community should renew its commitment to the Civil Rights movement and carefully examine the conduct of its own leaders and institutions.” [[xix], [xx]]
Joseph Zernik, PhD
Human Rights Alert (NGO)
Joseph Zernik, PhD, of Human Rights Alert (NGO) has gained substantial experience in recent years in analyzing fraud in the electronic records of the state and US courts. His opinions on these matters were supported by official report of the UN Human Rights Council, by the opinions of highly-reputed law enforcement and computer science experts, and by peer-review in international computer and criminology journals and conferences. Submission he authored on behalf of Human Rights Alert (NGO) for the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) of Human Rights in the United States by the Human Rights Council of the United Nations was incorporated into the official 2010 UPR report with reference to “corruption of the courts and the legal profession.” [[xxi]]
[i] 07-12-17 Samaan v Zernik (SC087400) David Pasternak: Grant Deeds in re: 320 South Peck Drive, Beverly Hills, CA 90212, opined as fraud by James Wedick
[ii] 08-01-08 Case of Borrower Hills (01-22574) – in the US Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh. Countrywide’s Three “Recreated Letters” and a Transcript
[iii] 08-03-05 Case of Borrower William Parsley (05-90374), Dkt #248: Judge Jeff Bohm’s Memorandum Opinion, rebuking Countrywide’s litigation practices, Countrywide’s false outside counsel scheme – appearances by counsel who are not Counsel of Record, with “no communications with clients” clause:
[iv] 10-07-06 Complaint Filed with US Attorney Office Los Angeles against Sandor Samuels and others, alleging Racketeering
[v] 11-04-14 PRESS RELEASE: Harvard Law Professor Yochai Benkler has been asked to review the evidence of large-scale computer fraud in the US courts
[vi] 11-05-18 PRESS RELEASE: Rabbi Jonathan Bernhard and Adat Ari El, Valley Village � willful beneficiaries of Sandor Samuels� criminality
[vii] 11-05-05 PRESS RELEASE: Anti Defamation League�s Abraham Foxman is asked to opine on allegations of Public Corruption, Racketeering in the Los Angeles Jewish/Legal Community
[viii] 11-05-30 PRESS RELEASE: Alex Kozinski, Chief Judge of the 9th Circuit, is asked for Jewish ethics perspective on judicial corruption
[ix] 11-06-23 Chief Judge Alex Kozinski, 9th Circuit, Accepts then Rejects Notice of �Unprofessional Conduct� Regarding Large-scale Fraud in Electronic Records of the Courts-s
[x] 11-05-09 PRESS RELEASE: Richard Posner, University of Chicago Law Professor, Asked for Ethics Opinions Regarding Racketeering in the Los Angeles Courts, Bet Tzedek, and ADL
[xi] Michael Rabin refused to respond on questions similar to those provided to Prof Yochai Benkler.
[xii] 11-05-22 Request for Jewish ethics perspective by the Shalhevet School Judaic Studies staff regarding benefits from racketeering in the courts by Countrywide’s Sandor Samuels
[xiii] 11-05-13 PRESS RELEASE: Los Angeles Rabbis Sharon Brous (Ikar Synagogue), Chaim Nochum Cunin (Chabad), Susan Leider (Temple Betham), Chaim Seidler-Feller (UCLA Hillel) are Asked to Opine on Fraud/Racketeering in the Courts by Jewish attorneys and judges
[xiv] 11-05-07 Press Release – UCLA Law Professor Richard Stein Berg, A Human Rights Expert, Is Asked to Opine Regarding Human Rights in Los Angeles, California
[xv] 11-05-18 Request for Jewish Ethics Perspective by Rabbi Robert Wexler, President of the American Jewish University, Los Angeles, regarding his benefits from racketeering by Countrywide’s Sandor Samuels
[xvi] 09-00-00 Pahis, S: Corruption in Our Courts: What It Looks Like and Where It is Hidden, The Yale Law Journal, 118:1900 (2009)
[xvii] The judges of Los Angeles County were found to have taken �not permitted payments� (�bribes�), which required the signing of �retroactive immunities� (�pardons�), and inexplicable financials, related to secretive corporations controlled by the Los Angeles judges have been documented for over a decade.
11-01-07 Superior Court of Los Angeles County, California: Widespread Public Corruption and Refusal of US Department of Justice to Take Action
[xviii] Racketeering complaint against Attorney David Pasternak, the Los Angeles Superior Court as posted by the International Criminal Bar (ICB)
[xix]  11-06-14 Corruption of the Courts and Failing Banking Regulation in the United States: Dred Scott redux?
 11-06-24 Time Magazine – 4th of July Issue: Does the Constitution Still Matter?
[xx] 11-06-24 Time Magazine – 4th of July Issue: Does the Constitution Still Matter?
[xxi]11-05-08 Joseph Zernik, PhD, Biographical Sketch
Human Rights Alert (NGO)
Human Rights Alert is dedicated to discovering, archiving, and disseminating evidence of Human Rights violations by the justice systems of the State of California and the United States in Los Angeles County, California, and beyond. Human Rights Alert focuses on the unique role of computerized case management systems in the precipitous deterioration of the integrity of the justice system in the United States.
Flag Counter: 119
Total Reads: 485,060
Total Item Views: 393,338
WHAT DID THE EXPERT SAY ABOUT THE CURRENT FINANCIAL CRISIS?
* Foreclosure fraud: The homeowner nightmares continue
CNN (April 7, 2011)
* About 3 million homes have been repossessed since the housing boom ended in 2006 That number could balloon to about 6 million by 2013
Bloomberg (January 2011)
* “…a system in which only the little people have to obey the law, while the rich, and bankers especially, can cheat and defraud without consequences.”
Prof Paul Krugman, MIT (2011)
WHAT DID THE EXPERTS SAY ABOUT THE JUSTICE SYSTEM IN LOS ANGELES COUNTY, CALIFORNIA?
* “…judges tried and sentenced a staggering number of people for crimes they did not commit.”
Prof David Burcham, Dean, Loyola Law School, LA (2001)
* “This is conduct associated with the most repressive dictators and police states… and judges must share responsibility when innocent people are convicted.”
Prof Erwin Chemerinsky, Dean, Irvine Law School (2001)
* “Innocent people remain in prison”
* “…the LA Superior Court and the DA office, the two other parts of the justice system that the Blue Panel Report recommends must be investigated relative to the integrity of the system, have not produced any response that we know of…”
LAPD Blue Ribbon Review Panel Report (2006)
WHAT DID THE EXPERTS SAY ABOUT THE JUSTICE SYSTEM IN CALIFORNIA?
* “…corruption of the courts and the legal profession and discrimination by law enforcement in California.”
United Nations Human Rights Council Staff Report (2010)
WHAT DID THE EXPERTS SAY ABOUT THE STATE COURTS IN THE UNITED STATES?
* “On July 26, 2010, Laurence Tribe, Senior Counsel for the United States Department of Justice, Access to Justice Initiative, delivered an important speech to the Conference of Chief Justices, challenging them to halt the disintegration of our state justice systems before they become indistinguishable from courts of third world nations.”
Prof Laurence Tribe, Harvard Law School (2010), per National Defender Leadership Institute (2010)
WHAT DID THE EXPERTS SAY ABOUT THE SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES?
* “More than 100 law professors have signed on to a letter released today that proposes congressional hearings and legislation aimed at fashioning “mandatory and enforceable” ethics rules for Supreme Court justices for the first time. The effort, coordinated by the liberal Alliance for Justice, was triggered by “recent media reports,” the letter said, apparently referring to stories of meetings and other potential conflicts of interest involving Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas among others.”
More than 100 law professors, as reported by the Blog of the Legal Times (February 2011)
WHAT DID CHIEF JUDGE OF THE US COURT OF APPEALS, 5TH CIRCUIT, SAY ABOUT THE US JUSTICE SYSTEM?
* “The American legal system has been corrupted almost beyond recognition…”
Chief Judge, US Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, Edith Jones, speaking before the Federalist Society of Harvard Law School (February 2003)
WHAT DID THE CHAIR OF THE SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE SAY ABOUT THE US JUSTICE SYSTEM?
* In a speech in Georgetown University, Senator Leahy, Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee called for a “Truth and Reconciliation Commission” on the US Department of Justice.
Transcript of Senator Leahy speech (2009)